For students who want to earn their high school diploma or GED and take their college entrance exam, writing an informative essay is one of the best tools they can use. The essay, written in the style of a research paper, should be researched and analyzed thoroughly, especially if it will be used in the college admission or job application process.
However, writing a good student essay does not come easy. Since there are many guidelines and tips that are available for teachers, counselors and tutors, they can help students with writing an essay on an analytical level. Here are some tips for writing an academic essay on a high school level:
– Begin your essay at the fourth grade level. High school students tend to write an essay on topics that are not too advanced for their age. For this reason, it is best to start your essay writing at the fourth grade level, so that you can get used to writing academic essays.
– Keep your essay brief. Since your essay is going to be used as a research material in the college admissions process, you need to make sure that your essay is brief enough so that it can easily be understood by your audience. If it is too long, you can confuse your audience, and if it is too short, it might be hard to understand.
– Avoid using jargon in your essay. Students usually learn the rules of writing in the first two years of school, but in college they still tend to be afraid to use technical terms. You may use jargon in the form of acronyms, but keep in mind that it should not be overused. Instead, you should use it once or twice in your essay, and only then should you use it in your article.
– Make sure that your essay is well organized. When you are going to submit your essay to your school’s teacher, counselor or tutor, make sure that all the information provided in the essay is organized and in order.
– Make sure that your essay is formatted properly. Formatting your essay is a very important part of writing an informative essay, since your essay must be easy to read and understand by your readers. For this reason, you should read your essay through before submitting it to the teacher or your tutor. and have it proofread to ensure that the formatting has been done correctly.
These are just some tips for how to format an essay, and here is a quick guide for students who are looking for ways on how to organize their essays. and make sure that the essay will look well in the college admissions process:
o In the beginning of your essay, place the heading at the front of the essay, followed by the first paragraph, followed by the first sentence’s last sentence, followed by the body of the essay. This way, your students can easily read over your entire essay and follow the main argument, and keep track of what each section is about.
o Make sure that the first paragraph is concise. Avoid lengthy sentences, because it will bore your students.
o Avoid lengthy paragraphs. If you are going to include long paragraphs, make sure that your students know that you are putting more than one idea in each paragraph, as much as possible.
o Make sure that you are using bullet points for each idea. to make your text easier to read. If your text is too long, students will not be able to find the ideas they need and will tend to lose interest, leading to a poorly written article.